Music Therapy Education & Background
Helen earned her MA in Music Therapy from Roehampton University in 2007, after which, she joined a Music Therapy team working for a charity based in Berkshire. Helen now runs her own private practice, as well as being a Director for Whole Step CIC, advising on Music Therapy projects and Community Music initiatives. She is undertaking the final level of her training in Guided Imagery & Music (GIM), on The Integrative GIM Training Programme (London). It is here that Helen gained her diploma in Music & Imagery Therapy.
Skills & Approach
Helen has extensive experience of supporting a wide range of people to explore and move forward from difficult emotional experiences, and is committed to helping people to reach their fullest potential. She believes that we all have the capacity to transform our emotional selves through exploration of our own unique creativity.
Helen understands the need to feel safe when exploring life's challenges and our emotional worlds, and strives to create a warm, comfortable, and accepting environment tailored to individual needs.
Trust built in the relationship between Therapist and Client, as well as in the ability of music to soothe and heal, is at the heart of Helen's ethos. She believes it is the combination of therapeutic relationship, music, and imagery, which opens the doorway to our own individual routes for change.
You may be seeking help with:
- Anxiety or low mood
- Significant life events
- Bereavement or other types of loss
- Emotional trauma
- Difficult relationships
- Work or educational related stress
- Learning Disability
- Physical Disability
- Elective mutism
- Speech and language disorders
- Autistic Spectrum Condition
Or, perhaps you are a Music Therapy, Psychiatry, Psychology, or Holistic Therapy student looking for personal therapy during your training...
Qualifications & Certifications
- Music Therapy (MA)
- Music & Imagery Therapy (Dip.)
- Music BA (Hons)
- VoiceGym Instructor (Level One)
- Certified by The Health and Care Professions Council: Arts Therapist: AS10625
- Enhanced DBS check
- Associate member of Association for Music & Imagery
- Member of The British Association for Music Therapy
Research, Publications, & Presentations
- Music as Communication Project (Minsk, Belarus) - Facilitator of initial pilot project (2009), Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant, & Supervisor (2014 & 2019).
- Wallace, H. (2010) 'An Inquiry into an Integrated Approach to Music Therapy for Children with Autistic Spectrum Disorder & Sensory Integration Dysfunction'. MA research project, Roehampton University (unpublished).
- Margetts, L., Wallace, H. & Young, E. (2013) 'A Potential Space: Approaching "Outsider Research" with Classroom Practitioners working with Children with Complex Needs in Belarus', British Journal of Music Therapy, Vol.27, 2 p.6-23 (Co-Author)
- Wallace, H. (2018) 'A Whirlwind of Being', Music & Imagery Therapy Case Study, presented at the 13th European GIM Conference, European Association of Music and Imagery (EAMI)
© Routes For Change 2019